Will lasers fit on a boat?
It’s finally happened! The alumni squad has passed the 1 million meter mark for the January Virtual Team Challenge! Major thanks go to Matt Healy, Andy Soyring, and Albert Bowers for racking up the meters and helping us towards our goal! The student rowers are coming up quick though and may still pass us, so every meter we can log between now and Saturday at midnight will be important.
There are a few of you yet to log meters. No zeroes this year! Even if you can only erg 1000 meters, every little bit helps. And don’t forget that we’ll have a half marathon (21,000 meters) on Saturday, January 31st to end the event. Remember, erging helps keep you warm!
Don’t forget that this event also coincides with a fundraising effort. If you would like to pledge a flat or per-K amount, please contact me before February 5. I’ll send more details once the challenge is over.
For those of you participating in the January Virtual Team Challenge, we came up with a couple of ideas to help motivate you in all those lonely hours on the erg:
1) If we can get everyone to complete a 6K piece by Monday in order to give out meter total an added boost while the student rowers try to catch up; and
2) On January 31st (or thereabouts) get everyone to complete a half-marathon (~21,000 meters) to push us over the top!
Onwards and upwards!
If you have any ideas for additional challenges during the month to help keep us all motivated, please let me know.
The January Virtual Team Challenge at Concept2 is underway and the meters are already stacking up. Still, we only have 3 people participating right now and we need a lot more! I won’t be satisfied until we hit the double digits in participation, so I’m counting on you. To take part go to: http://www.concept2.com/us/motivation/challenges/default.asp It will take you 5 minutes. There was one crucial detail I left out in the previous post (in bold below), so please read carefully:
- Set up an online profile at the Concept2 website.
- Email me with the username and email address you used to create the profile (only if you’ve never participated before). I need this to add you to the team.
- Make sure you sign up for the the January team challenge in your profile, under the “Teams” tab. This is necessary in order for your meters to count. You should also see “U Chicago Alumni Crew” as your team affiliation.
- Input your meters on the Concept2 website. You can add any backlogged meters rowed since Jan 1 by simply changing the date. The last date to input meters is Feb 5.
It’s that easy! Remember that the deadline for taking part in this challenge is January 15th at midnight. Please send me your information as soon as possible. If you have any questions let me know.